About Obstetric Care at BID Plymouth
The collaborative relationship between our obstetricians and nurse-midwives gives women a wide range of choices for prenatal and birthing at BID Plymouth's BirthPlace. You may choose traditional prenatal care with the addition of birthing, childcare and breastfeeding classes.
Personalized Birth Options
- Natural Childbirth: Our nurses and midwives are skilled at supporting unmedicated labor and birth.
- Alternative Labor Pain Relief: Choose to labor in our very large and comfortable tub or in our many in-room showers. We encourage birth to occur in the place and position of the mother's choice and offer the option of a water birth for low-risk women.
- Pain Relief: Twenty-four-hour anesthesia coverage provides women with excellent pain relief in labor for both midwife and physician patients if they choose.
- Trial of Labor After Cesarean (TOLAC): We are also supportive of women choosing to labor after having had a Cesarean delivery.
- BirthPlace: Our cozy BirthPlace offers one room in which to start, complete and recover from your labor (labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum/LDRP).
- Post-Birth Benefits: We encourage "rooming in" (your baby stays in the room with you rather than the nursery) and offer strong breastfeeding support with lactation consultants.