Advanced Breastfeeding Support and Education Resources
Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Plymouth's team of breastfeeding experts are International Board Certified Lactation Consultants — registered nurses who have advanced training to help new mothers and babies establish breastfeeding as an optimally beneficial and positive experience. Our skilled experts are available to assist new mothers before they deliver, after delivery prior to discharge, and after moms and babies go home.
This is a monthly prenatal class designed to assist and encourage women's success with breastfeeding. Taught by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant/Registered Nurse, women and their partners learn breastfeeding basics such as positioning and latching, feeding frequency and duration, milk production and more. Partners are encouraged to attend. Offered first Wednesday of the month; cost is $15.
Inpatient Breastfeeding Support
New mothers are assisted with breastfeeding newborns within 30-60 minutes of delivery
Lactation specialists and nursing staff work together to assess progress and support in the development of personal, evidence-based breast feeding plans to help new moms get off to a great start
Lactation specialists visit nursing mothers daily to answer questions, assist in addressing concerns or overcoming challenges and providing supportive instruction.
Outpatient Support and Education Services
- KellyMom.com: This is a blog written by a lactation consultant. Find info on common issues with breastfeeding.
- ZipMilk: Search for lactation consultants near you.
- US Office on Women's Health: Breastfeeding facts and resources.
- Infant Risk Center: Information on over-the-counter and prescription medications.
- Latching Images: This website has images showing how to latch your baby.
Free Telephone Support
- Monday–Friday: Call 508-830-2239 and leave a message. A lactation specialist will return your call within 24 hours.
- Weekends: Call 508-830-2230 and ask to speak with a maternity nurse.
- If call is of an urgent nature, please call your doctor or your baby's pediatrician.
Mother-to-Mother Breastfeeding Support Group
Due to COVID-19 all in-person classes have been cancelled. To register for our virtual breastfeeding support group, please email us.
Outpatient Lactation Clinic Visits
Individual consultation, by appointment only, for assistance with breastfeeding difficulties.
Additional Breastfeeding Support Services
Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Plymouth's Lactation specialists can provide guidance on maintaining lactation when mother and baby are separated due to employment, illness or other circumstances, as well as advice and recommendations on rental or purchase of breast pumps (and how to determine if insurance may cover).