Our Laboratory Services
Find hours and directions for our blood drawing stations here.
The Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Plymouth Laboratory offers a wide range of services including:
- Blood banking: blood products, blood typing, and products for transfusion.
- Chemistry: the science concerned with detection of chemical substances (qualitative analysis), or determination of amounts of substances (quantitative analysis), naturally produced or artificially introduced in the body.
- Coagulation: testing the process of blood cells clumping together to form a clot.
- Cytology: the science of the formation, structure, and function of cells.
- Hematology: the science concerned with blood, blood-forming tissues, and diagnosis of disorders in blood.
- Histology: the study of the microscopic structure of tissue.
- Pathology: the study of the structure of normal, abnormal, diseased, or injured tissue.
- Phlebotomy: the process of withdrawing blood from a vein.
- Microbiology: the scientific study of microorganisms.
- Serology: the scientific study of fluid components of blood, especially antibodies and antigens.
- Urinalysis: analysis of the urine.
The laboratory performs about 1 million tests per year at 7 collection stations and provides services for inpatients, outpatients, the Emergency Department, the Cancer Center, local nursing homes/skilled care facilities, rehabilitation facilities, physician offices, and government agencies.
Laboratory staff include MD Pathologists, administrative staff, technologists, lab assistants, and clerical staff.
The Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Plymouth Laboratory is licensed and/or accredited by the following organizations:
- Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA)
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH)
- Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Health Care Organizations (JCAHO)
- College of American Pathologists (CAP)
- American Association of Blood Banks
For lab related questions, call the main lab at 508-830-2170.