About Obstetric Care at BID Plymouth
The collaborative relationship between our obstetricians and nurse-midwives gives women a wide range of choices for prenatal and birthing at BID Plymouth's BirthPlace. You may choose traditional prenatal care with the addition of birthing, childcare and breastfeeding classes, or take part in our CenteringPregnancy Prenatal Care.
Personalized Birth Options
- Natural Childbirth: Our nurses and midwives are skilled at supporting unmedicated labor and birth.
- Alternative Labor Pain Relief: Choose to labor in our very large and comfortable tub or in our many in-room showers. We encourage birth to occur in the place and position of the mother's choice and offer the option of a water birth for low-risk women.
- Pain Relief: Twenty-four-hour anesthesia coverage provides women with excellent pain relief in labor for both midwife and physician patients if they choose.
- Trial of Labor After Cesarean (TOLAC): We are also supportive of women choosing to labor after having had a Cesarean delivery.
- BirthPlace: Our cozy BirthPlace offers one room in which to start, complete and recover from your labor (labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum/LDRP).
- Post-Birth Benefits: We encourage "rooming in" (your baby stays in the room with you rather than the nursery) and offer strong breastfeeding support with lactation consultants.