Well Woman Care
A well woman visit, also known as annual gynecology exam, is an integral part of woman's healthcare. These visits encompass unique screenings, preventions, and recommendations based on your age and health history.
Healthcare guidelines are forever changing, which is why it is important to have these yearly visits with your healthcare provider. These visits cover vast topics such as: general health, breast health, menstrual cycle, contraception and preconception needs, menopause, bone health, cervical/uterine/ovarian cancer prevention, safe sex promotion, sexual dysfunction, and many other topics.
During these visits your provider may listen to your heart and lungs, perform and teach a breast exam, and conduct a pelvic exam. Our OB/GYN and Midwifery providers are available for these well woman visits. Below are links for further information on well woman appointments.
• General Information: http://healthfinder.gov/HealthTopics/Category/everyday-healthy-living/sexual-health/get-your-well-woman-visit-every-year#the-basics_3
• Self Breast Exam: http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/types/self_exam/bse_steps
• Pelvic Exam: http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/pelvic-exam/basics/definition/prc-20013064
• Menstrual Cycle: http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/menstruation.html
• Contraception Options: http://www.arhp.org/methodmatch/
• Menopause: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/menopause/basics/definition/con-20019726
Written by Corey Signs, CNM