Spring Shell Pasta Salad
12 oz. box small shell pasta
10 oz. baby spinach, stemmed and cut into strips
8 oz. cherry tomatoes, cut in half
4 chives, cut in ½ inch lengths
1 can (15.5 oz.) low sodium chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 cup English cucumber, cut lengthwise and sliced thin
6 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons country Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Fill a large pot with water and cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Drain and rinse the pasta and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Make the dressing: whisk together the rice wine vinegar, remaining olive oil, mustard, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
4. Mix the spinach, tomatoes, chives, chick peas, and cucumber into the cooked pasta shells.
5. Add dressing and mix together.
6. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.
1 cup = 160 calories, 5 grams protein, 3 grams fiber, and 260 mg sodium.
Recipe created by Chef Jerry Levine