Welcome to Beth Israel Deaconess - Plymouth’s Continuing Care Nursery. Our mission is to provide your baby with the best care possible close to home.
We are glad to have you and your family here and work with you to give your baby the extra care that is needed before going home.
The nursery is affiliated with the Division of Newborn Medicine at the Floating Hospital for Children at Tufts Medical Center.
Our Special Babies
We specialize in caring for premature and term newborns who need some extra time to mature before going home. Our newborns may need to learn to eat, maintain their temperature, resolve breathing issues, etc. Some of our newborns may be born at Beth Israel Deaconess - Plymouth or are transferred here from Boston hospitals to be closer to home.
- Visitation is open to parents 24 hours a day. We ask that you step out of the nursery during change of shift report for confidentiality purposes.
- Grandparents, siblings & friends may also visit as long as they are accompanied by a parent.
- During November 1st through April 1st children under the age of 12 are not permitted in the nursery. This is to minimize the risk of exposure to colds & flu, when your baby is more susceptible to illness.
- During your baby’s stay in the nursery, we will provide education on infant care. Before your baby goes home our goal is for you to feel comfortable and confident in caring for your baby.
Nursery Milestones to achieve prior to discharge
Your baby must achieve certain milestones before going home
- Your baby must be able to maintain their temperature while in an open crib
- Your baby must be consistently gaining weight
- Your baby must be taking all feedings by bottle or breast
- Your baby must be free of apneic, bradycardic, or desaturation spells for seven days
- A hearing screen and Newborn Screening will be performed on your baby prior to discharge.
- A car seat test may also be necessary to ensure you infant will remain safe in the car.
The safety & security of our special babies is of high priority. The Continuing Care Nursery is located within the BirthPlace, a locked unit, with 24 hour video surveillance.
Maternal-Child Health Services
Early Intervention Program
Respiratory Distress Syndrome
Bradycardia is an episode in which the baby’s heart rate drops below 100 beats per minute.
Desaturation is a term used to describe oxygen saturation that decreases below 90%.